Saturday, October 13, 2012

Finished Soccer & Began Fitness Testing

This week the teams finished their soccer tournaments, see playoff information here.  Check out the following short video clip of a class displaying good sportsmanship at the end of their soccer game.




We also started our fitness testing this week.  The weather was not ideal, so only two classes ran the mile.  When we were forced inside the students challenged themselves with a new running challenge...the PACER test.  It is part of the FitnessGram test.  This is the only test from FitnessGram that they will be pre and post tested on this year.  Traditionally we complete the Presidential Fitness challenges.

Anyway, the PACER test has the participants run across the gym (marked off for 20 meters) and they have to make it to the other set of cones before the beep.  The CD (click to here it on YouTube) has a beep and a male voice calling out the number of laps they have completed.  The time between the beeps starts off slow and gradually gets faster.  A partner kept track of the number of laps completed.  Not all of the classes have participated, but the highest number I've seen this fall is 61 from Hunter C., a sixth grader.  The following video is not of Hunter C., but of few fifth graders during the PACER test.



Figuring out the math
Hunter C. completed 61 laps multiplied by 20 meters, which is equal to 1220 meters.
If there are 1609.34 meters in a mile, she almost completed a mile at a fast pace. Great job Hunter C.!

I can't wait to see how the rest of the classes perform during this new challenge.  I laughed because many students wanted to try it again.  I let them know that they will be practicing it throughout the year during warm-ups and will retested in the spring.

I almost forgot the best part...one of the students didn't have a partner.  When the partners were asked to switch roles, he told me that I needed to participate.  Me, being the great role model that I am, put a smile on my face and gave it a try.  I ended up with 32 laps.  I told that class that I will be participating in warm-ups with them to see if I can improve my score too.  I love a challenge!

Finishing the mile and other fitness testing next week.  Wednesday during lunch recess will be the aforementioned soccer tournament conclusion.  (no rain, no rain, no rain)

No comments:

Post a Comment